11 December 2011

My Blueberry Nights

I have no problems watching a movie that is aesthetically pleasing but offers little in the way of substance.  This is how I feel about a lot of things, but movie-wise the first ones that come to mind right now are The Dreamers, The Fall...and in this post, 'My Blueberry Nights'. Maybe because these three could have been so much better and deeper than how they turned out.
I'm torn because everyone with half a brain knows that Wong Kar Wai is deliciously sensual and visual, and this was his first english language film, but it was just so....meh.  But I love love LOVE that he cast the beautiful Norah Jones and Cat Power in it.
I like the idea of female musicians translating all their complexity into an acting performance instead of through notes, melodies and their own lyrics. I could have done without Natalie Portman though, yawn.












No comments:

you might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails