22 October 2011

small screen / big screen city

My New York reality kept getting blurred with filmed efforts, particularly the small screen.

Thanks especially to Felicity, I kept feeling like I had a very real and vivid past memory of hanging out in the city. How could you walk around NYU and past a Dean & Deluca and NOT try and keep an eye out for Noel or reminisce about when she tearfully put Ben in his place?  


And Jess Mariano was right, Washington Square Park is where it's at. We thought we'd walk through it quickly to get to somewhere else, but ended up staying there for hours...just watching people all afternoon.
Walking around the upper east side, or central park's Bethesda terrace I could almost hear the expensive clicking heels of Blair & Serena. In Brooklyn I wondered where Dan was getting his morning coffee (for the record, Grumpy's in Park Slope also do flat whites!) 


At night the steam on dark streets made me wonder if that was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle I just saw out of the corner of my eye. On 14th street I swooned and hummed Rufus Wainwright to myself. In the New York Public Library I....well, I got a bit teary obviously, it's heaven for a librarian!  At Grand Central I shivered, thinking about Lex Luthor's underground lair. We were staying around Union Square and to my utter delight, a couple of weeks after booking our hotel I found out the exterior was used in Manhattan Murder Mystery, quite perfect if you love Woody Allen films like I do!


That's just some of the stand out moments around the city, but around every corner there were many small fragments of pop culture coming up again and again which made for a very deja vu experience most of the time. This also added to that feeling of being totally comfortable in the city, because it felt like you had always been there.  Oh and how we wished that we'd bump into Jonathan and George and Ray on one of their adventures!


Don't even start me on 30 Rock. I would have cried if I saw Tina Fey.


No comments:

you might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails