2 April 2011

moreish & Middle Eastern

I love Mediterranean food, I really do. It's the food I grew up with, it's really honest ingredients grown in the sun, eaten seasonally and cooked long and simple; letting the flavours speak for themselves. It has made me appreciate that food is more than just nourishment for the body, it's for enjoyment too. 
Then there's the other side of me...who longs for magical blends and colours of spices, the heavenly hypnotising smells that make you feel blissed out on a bed of a thousand velvet cushions. I am being totally romantic here, but it's not far from the truth. I could eat Middle Eastern food for the rest of my life and be happy to bits. I am lucky that a lot of Greek cuisine borrows from the Turks so it's not really a stretch. 
But until I set foot in the souks and medinas of Morrocco and Turkey (oh but I would love to go to Lebanon, Jordan and Syria too!) I must console myself by sprinkling sumac over my yoghurt and dipping my bread into olive oil & zaa'tar. Oh, and popping into this shop I spotted on the way home that claims to sell "Nablus's famous Knafeh made fresh daily"...yes please.






I would like all of these....to tide my belly and my eyes over until I visit these countries in person.

No comments:

you might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails