31 May 2010

fragrance libraries

do you have a favourite perfume?

I easily have about half a dozen that I would wear depending on the weather and time of day/night. My heart is pining for another bottle of the decadently sexy Comme des Garcon 2, which is a unisex fragrance featuring the smell of...ink!  And the bottle is an organic silver delight with no straight edges but a pleasure to hold in your hand. It warmed me up in winter good and proper.

I dream about having a scent that is all my own, something no one else has. But until then I just layer, and mix. I love the idea of a fragrance library, Demeter was the first one I saw to try and capture everyday scents. There's a whole bunch I want to try....something tells me I'm on to a winner with 'gin & tonic'...it's not much of a stretch for me, is it?

They also have ones called Laundromat, Dirt, Holy Water, Clean Windows, Rain, Snow...
I have to get me to Liberty and try some out!


Also from the Americas is a range by Christopher Brosius called 'I hate perfume' and his scents sound pretty sophisticated, the descriptions are really evocative and I would love to have a sniff...some ones that caught my attention (actually, ALL of them caught my attention, but even so...) ;

-Russian Caravan Tea (my favourite tea ever)
-in the summer kitchen
-Mr. Hulot's holiday  (a Mediterranean beachy scent!)
-a room with a view (the hills above Florence)

and of course, the one I am beside myself with excitement to smell.... 'in the library' which he describes as "a warm blend of English Novel*, Russian & Moroccan Leather Bindings, Worn Cloth and a hint of Wood Polish"..hello, I'm totally there!

I kind of wish someone would bottle a summer afternoon in Hellas for me, you need the following ingredients;
sunshine, lemon, parsley, charcoal smoke (from the bbq), maybe a bit of aniseed (ouzo!) and earth, dry sunsoaked earth.


sigh....  seven weeks until I am back on sunsoaked Hellenic earth, hurry up.

2 comments:

this? said...

Sooo beeeeeewidful!! That there is an "ew" in there is really unfortunate because my senses have died and gone to scent heaven, which is a good thing. Or I mean, a good place for them to go.
I've been wanting some of those demeter scents for some time now. I think 'lawn' maybe was one that caught my eye, or nose as the case may be. And yes! Definitely 'gin and tonic!'
I love your 'summer afternoon in Hellas' Oohhhh drool! Definitely makes me want to go to Greece.
I bus driver once mistook me for being Greek. I felt so honoured. Your description just confirmed why I felt so honoured.

Most of the smells that evoke a place or a time for me are kind of gross smells, smells I love but would never wear as a perfume. Like cat or a dog food, just coz they reminds me that there's an animal around. Or garlic.

If someone could bottle cilantro, freshly cut tomatoes, and onions. I would wear that. Sounds weird but I think it would smell good. Especially in summer. Mainly coz it's pretty much salsa.

Mia said...

lovely Lones...to you I prescribe 'in the summer kitchen' which has "fresh garden vegetables & herbs on a clear summer evening with a touch of smoked old wooden rafters"..perfecto! xo

you might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails